Feeling a tad busy this season? Join the club. But in spite of our harried schedules, we all want to give thoughtful, heartfelt gifts the recipients will love. And by “recipients,” I’m talking about the piano teacher, the babysitter, the mail carrier, the home health nurse, the UPS delivery person, the bank teller, the barber – all those hardworking people you come into contact with on a regular basis.
So, we did the work for you. Here are 5 simple ideas that take just a few minutes, easy recipes and even the printable gift tags. We had a blast whipping up these simple, yummy jar gifts in our office, and we think you’ll have fun with them, too. Rest assured, you won’t break the bank, and of course, everyone will love not only what’s in the jars, but the jars themselves!
Mexican Hot Cocoa Mix in Mini Glass Milk Bottles
We just can’t get enough of these little glass milk bottles. They’re the perfect size — 1 pint — and shape for serving milk (with cookies, of course), juice, sodas or even smoothies.
This simple mix makes a rich, creamy cup of cocoa that’s not too sweet (so a few mini marshmallows are the perfect addition). The cinnamon gives it a little flair. If you want to go really “Mexican,” add a dash or two of cayenne pepper, but you may want to warn the giftee!
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/3 cups powdered milk
- mini marshmallows
- In a mixing bowl or batter bowl, mix all ingredients together with a spoon or whisk. Take care to smooth out any lumps of brown sugar or spices.
- Fill jars about 2/3 full, then place mini marshmallows on top and secure lids.
- Attach gift tag with ribbon, twine or raffia.
Spiced Citrus Cheer in 1 1/2 Pint Wide-Mouth Jars
This hot drink mix is a take-off on instant wassail mixes. It requires just a few ingredients and is caffeine-free, so it’s kid-friendly, and it packs a Vitamin C punch, too. Adjust the sugar to taste – using the full amount this recipe calls for results in a pretty sweet drink. You can also increase the spices if you want a “spicier” flavor.
- 2 C. orange powdered drink
- 1 1/2 c. sugar (can cut sugar to taste for a less sweet and more tart flavor)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- ¼ tsp. ginger
- 1/3 C. pre-sweetened lemonade mix
- cinnamon sticks (for jar decoration)
- In a mixing bowl or batter bowl, mix all ingredients together until well blended.
- Fill jars and secure lids.
- Attach gift tag with ribbon, twine or raffia and 1-2 cinnamon sticks.
Organic Trail Mix
Everyone could use a healthy, protein-rich snack during the fast-paced holiday season. Create your own mix of dried fruits and nuts, or layer them for a Christmas-y look. We used organic dried cranberries, organic raw pumpkin seeds and organic raw cashews. Happy Trails!
Layers of Popcorn
Because c’mon, who doesn’t love popcorn? Mix different varieties and colors together or pick your favorite kind and go plain and simple. We layered GMO-free purple and white popcorn for a festive look.
Old-Time Hard Candy
Sweet hard candy is always a favorite. We layered Claey’s old-fashioned sugared wild cherry and green apple candies. Old-fashioned peppermint puffs would look gorgeous, too.
BONUS – We couldn’t resist filling an ADORABLE Kilner round clip-top jar with some of our new, exclusive Chocolate-Drizzled Potato Chip Caramel Corn. It truly doesn’t get any easier, and everyone will think you made this addictive concoction yourself! (Shhh – we won’t tell.) Seriously though, these jars are so attractive, you could fill them with anything and they’d make a great gift!
Helpful Hints When Making Jar Gifts:
- Make sure ALL jars, lids and bands are clean, either washed in the dishwasher or by hand with hot, soapy water and COMPLETELY dry before filling.
- Use a large batter bowl to mix your dry ingredients (such as wassail mix and cocoa mix). This makes it easier to pour the mixes into jars.
- When filling your jars, use a canning funnel or other funnel. No spills!
- Put on some festive Christmas music and enlist the help of the children to mix dry ingredients in the bowl.
- Slow down, take your time and have FUN.
|Use our FREE printable Holiday Jar Gift Tags! Print out the ones you need again and again. It’s our little present to you. Happy jar gifting!|
Other Jars to Use:
Orchard Road Jars – these come with just the jar, no lids. Use your own lids, creative fabric coverings, or check out these decorative lids: