Spring is just around the corner, and April is National Gardening Month. If you’re a gardener you already know that nurturing plants is good for you — and growing, as well as eating, fresh food is a healthy lifestyle choice.
On April 15, 16 and 17, Lehman’s is hosting a Spring Open House to unveil a brand new food preservation and processing room. â€œThere are three things folks care about today,â€ said Galen Lehman, president. â€œFirst, the economy â€“ they watch their spending so they can get a great value for their money. Secondly, the environment â€“ renewable energy and practical people-powered products are very popular. And lastly â€“ what they eat. Our spring open house ties all three of the Eâ€™s together,â€ he continued.
With over 3,000 square feet of space dedicated to canning, preserving, drying, processing and â€œputting upâ€ fresh food,
Lehmanâ€™s has the room to display and demonstrate the myriad of products. â€œAfter all, if you are going to grow your own food, you will eventually have to bake it, cook it, can it, dry it, freeze it, or eat it!â€ said Lehman with a laugh. â€œAnd we are here to help.â€
The Lehman staff has planned a full schedule of product demonstrations so visitors can “Learn the Lehman’s Lifestyle.” Lehman’s, founded in 1955 by Jay Lehman to serve the local Amish with non-electric, old-fashioned products, is celebrating 55 years of healthy living. So the open house will have an educational flair and a festive atmosphere (over half a century of selling service!).
- • Learn how fresh cream is transformed into butter
- • Watch a local chandler demonstrate candle-making
- • Meet local author Paul Stutzman
- • Snack on barbecued beef, cooked outside on a Lehman’s grill
- • Be one of the first to purchase our exclusive 55th anniversary cookbook (with over 1,000 recipes!)
- • Play with old-fashioned toys from the past
- • Hear an organic gardening expert explain starting your seeds
- • Sip tea and sample homemade ice cream
- • Find out about the many uses for olive oil
- • Talk to a wood stove specialist, local organic gardener, or local author
- • Get a behind-scenes-peek at how Lehmanâ€™s makes their own products
- • Talk to factory reps about grills, stoves, fireplaces, cast iron cookware and more
- • Listen to old-time 50s music as Lehman’s very own Bonnie Geiser and the Average White Broads belt out some of your favorite tunes
- • Register to win an $8,500 set of Elmira retro appliances (drawing to be held in December 2010).
- • Be the lucky winner of a $55 gift certificate — one will be given out every hour on the hour
Thereâ€™s no better time to visit Amish country and a visit to Lehmanâ€™s is worth the trip!
For more information, visit www.Lehmans.com or call 1-877-438-5346.