Wait – National Soup Month isn’t over yet! Here are two more great recipes to try and enjoy. The first is a quick, richer twist on traditional chicken noodle soup, and the second, a hearty, vegan choice topped with sauteed onions. Both recipes are found in our Lehman’s Diamond Jubilee Cookbook (no longer in print). And even though soup month is about to be officially over, we’ll still be simmering pots of soup well into the springtime. Bon appetit.Print
- 1 qt. water
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 c. uncooked egg noodles
- 1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted (or 1 1/2 cups homemade)
- 1 1/2 c. canned chicken
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- small amounts of celery and/or carrots, diced (optional)
- minced parsley (optional)
- In a large saucepan, bring water and bouillon cubes to a boil.
- Add noodles, celery and carrots.
- Cook, uncovered, until tender – about 10-12 minutes. Do not drain.
- Add soup and canned chicken; heat thoroughly.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
- Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
- This recipe can be easily doubled.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 12 min
Keywords: creamy chicken noodle soup, chicken soup, chicken noodle soup
- 2 carrots
- 1 green pepper or hot pepper
- 1 onion
- 2 tomatoes or 1 pt. canned tomatoes
- 5–8 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
- 1 1/2 c. orange lentils
- 5–6 c. water
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 – 1/2 tap. cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 T. olive oil
- Chop carrots, pepper, onion and tomatoes in large chunks.
- Put in a large soup pot with garlic cloves, lentils, water and bouillon.
- Bring to a boil, cover and boil 20-30 minutes, without stirring.
- Cool slightly and puree.
- Return to pot and add cumin, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, to blend flavors.
- In a separate pan, fry the 1/2 onion in olive oil, until toasty brown.
- Float onions on top of soup.
- Serve with lemon wedges to bring out flavor.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
Keywords: spicy lentil soup, vegan, lentil soup, vegan soup