- 1 box yellow cake mix (plus the ingredients needed to make it)
- 1–20 oz. can pineapple slices
- Maraschino cherries
- 1 C. brown sugar
- 1 1/2 C. pineapple juice and water mix
- 1/2 C. butter
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven. Add sugar, then pineapple, placing a cherry in the center and in any gap between pineapple slices.
- Make the cake mix as directed and pour over pineapple. Cover Dutch oven and bake using 10 to 12 briquettes on the bottom and 14 to 16 of the briquettes on top for 45 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched.
- Remove oven from heat and let cool with top off.
- To remove cake, cut around sides and insert a paper plate, then flip the oven, allowing the cake to slide out onto the paper plate.
Keywords: sizzle cookbook, desserts, cakes