- 6 strips bacon, cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 lbs gold potatoes, peeled and diced into pieces no larger than 1” (about 6 large potatoes)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and bacon for topping (optional)
- In your Lodge Dutch oven, cook the bacon pieces over medium heat until they are crispy and browned. Remove the cooked bacon and set it aside on a paper towel lined plate. Drain the bacon grease.
- In the Dutch oven, add 2 tablespoons of butter and the chopped onions and minced garlic. Sauté them until the onions become translucent and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the diced potatoes, chicken broth, milk, and heavy cream and half of the bacon bites. Season with salt, and ground pepper. Bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low and cover the pot. Let it simmer for about 20-30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and cooked through.
- Depending on your preference, you can use an immersion blender to partially blend the soup, leaving some potato chunks for texture, or use a potato masher to lightly mash the potatoes. This step gives the soup its creamy consistency.
- Ladle the potato soup into bowls. Top each serving with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and bacon if desired.