- 3 cups Warm Water
- 2 packages of active Dry Yeast (.4 ounces total)
- 2/3 cup of Honey, divided
- 5 cups of Bread Flour
- 5 tablespoons of Melted Butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon of Salt
- 4 cups whole wheat flour, more as needed
- Mix warm water, yeast, and 1/3 cup honey in a large bowl to dissolve. Add 5 cups bread flour, and stir to combine. Let sit for 30 minutes, or until big and bubbly.
- Mix in 3 tablespoons melted butter, remaining 1/3 cup honey, and salt. Stir in 2 cups whole wheat flour. Transfer dough to a floured work surface and gradually knead in remaining 2 cups whole wheat flour. Knead until dough starts to pull away from the work surface, adding more whole wheat flour if necessary; dough should be a bit tacky to the touch, but not too sticky.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to coat the surface of the dough. Cover with a dish towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Grease your loaf pan. Punch down the dough. Place in the prepared loaf pan, and allow to rise until dough has topped the pan by one inch, another 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake the risen loaf in the preheated oven until golden brown for 25 to 30 minutes, do not over bake.
- Lightly brush the top of the loaf with remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter when done to prevent crust from getting hard. Cool completely.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes