- Butter half the loaf of bread and place, butter side down, in a 9×13 casserole dish.
- Brown the sausage in a cast iron skillet.
- Place the sausage on the bread, and add half a pound of shredded cheese, covering the sausage and bread.
- Beat the eggs and milk and add salt and pepper to taste. Butter the rest of the bread and place it, butter side up, on top of the mixture.
- Carefully (it tends to spill over the sides) cover with the egg/milk mixture. Smother with remaining cheese.
- Cover the baking dish, and refrigerate for 12-24 hours. The next morning, bake at 400 degrees for at least one hour. It’s not a low-fat breakfast, but it is filling and delicious, and festive for a special holiday.
Remove the casserole lid to bake the casserole. For the final 15 minutes of baking, place foil over the casserole dish to avoid burning the layer of cheese on the top.