In celebration of 55 years of selling history serving the public, Lehman’s is proudly hosting a summer party on Friday, July 9 and Saturday July 10 from 10 am to 3 pm at the retail store in Kidron, OH. The entire event will have a fun 50s flair in honor of the year that Lehman’s opened.
To make the party even more festive, the Lehman family invites anyone planning to attend (including employees!) to dress up in 50’s garb. In the 50s, the boys wore jeans and leather jackets (normally studded with metal) and the girls indulged in wearing poodle skirts, scarves and pedal pushers (similar to the Capri’s worn these days).
The jeans and jacket concept with the greased hair appeared to give ‘the cool dude look’ and the ladies liked their skirts to look elegant yet comfortable to dance and twirl around. The more people that get into the spirit of the 50s, the more fun the Summer Celebration becomes.
“Summer is a great time to visit Amish Country,” said Glenda Lehman Ervin, vice president of marketing at Lehman’s. “We invite folks to come and see our newly expanded housewares department and learn more about the old-fashioned way of life.”
Ervin dressed up for the April Open House, but was the only one, other than the music group: Average White Broads, featuring our own Bonnie Geiser . The Average White Broads music group will again be performing on July 9 and 10 from 11 am to 1 pm.
The Lehman’s staff has planned a full schedule of product demonstrations so visitors can “Learn the Lehman’s Lifestyle.” Lehman’s, founded in 1955 by Jay Lehman to serve the local Amish with non-electric, old-fashioned products, is home to thousands of products you probably thought they quit making years ago. Merchandise is housed in a rambling sprawling store, complete with four re-constructed Civil War era buildings, and a collection of museum-quality antiques.
Tin toys, weather vanes, oil lamps, kitchen gadgets, hand tools, non-electric appliances, eco-friendly garden products, homemade treats, unique cookbooks, handcrafted and locally made furniture, candles and more â€“ there’s so much to see and do you’ll want to spend the entire day.
The summer party will have an educational flair to go along with the and a festive atmosphere:
- â€¢ Watch vendors demonstrate how to use Lehman’s products
- â€¢ Enjoy old-fashioned children’s activities
- â€¢ Snack on barbecued beef, cooked outside on a Lehman’s grill
- â€¢ Purchase our exclusive 55th anniversary cookbook (with over 1,000 recipes!)
- â€¢ Get your cookbook signed by Pearl Taylor, Lehman’s long-term employee and sister of founder Jay Lehman
- â€¢ Hear Listen to an organic gardening expert explain how to help your garden thrive
- â€¢ Sample homemade ice cream and other treats
- â€¢ Listen to old-time 50s music with Lehman’s very own Bonnie Geiser and the Average White Broads as they belt out some of your favorite tunes (11 am to 1 pm, Friday and Saturday)
- â€¢ Register to win an $8,500 set of Elmira retro appliances (drawing to be held in December 2010).
- â€¢ Be the lucky winner of a $55 gift certificate — one will be given out every hour on the hour (from 10 am to 3 pm, must be present to win)
There’s no better time to visit Amish country and a visit to Lehman’s is work the trip! This family owned and operated business has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Time, Newsweek, Every Day with Rachel Ray, Better Homes and Gardens, Mother Earth News and many other national publications.
Lehman’s is located on the Square in Kidron (between Wooster and Canton, four miles south of Route 30). The store is open every day except Sunday â€“ for more information, visit the web site at www.Lehmans.com or call 1-877-438-5346.
Don’t forget to check www.Lehmans.com/calendar for the upcoming events being featured through the summer.