Here’s a fantastic new recipe from our favorite “wandering cowboy,” Mark Pendl. Mark is currently traveling the American West in his horse trailer, researching wild ponies for an upcoming book. Trust us when we say he knows campfire cooking! Try this “cowboy gourmet” French Toast at your next campout, or in your cast iron skillet at home.
- 1 orange
- 1/4 cup orange juice, plus the juice squeezed from the orange
- 2 T. orange zest (about 2 T.)
- 1 c. half and half or light cream
- Dash of cinnamon
- 1 T. ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3–1/2 c. golden raisins
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Rum or rum flavoring
- Powdered sugar
- Real Maple Syrup
- Brie or German Roulette Cheese
- Bread of your choice (thick bread works best to soak up all the flavors!)
- 1/2 stick butter and olive oil
- Place raisins in a small bowl with rum or rum flavoring. (These are best soaked overnight, but a few minutes will do the trick, too.)
- Zest orange and set zest aside.
- Juice the orange and place juice with additional orange juice in a mixing bowl.
- Add all other ingredients except the raisins, rum/rum flavoring, powdered sugar, maple syrup and cheese.
- Place thick slices of bread in this mixture to soak.
- In a cast iron skillet, place a half of stick of butter and a small amount of olive oil and simmer until the butter is melted.
- Place slices of bread in skillet and remove after it is golden brown on both sides.
- Sprinkle golden raisins over French Toast and then sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Serve with warm maple syrup and a wedge of cheese on the side. (Use the cheese instead of butter to be spread on the French Toast ).
- Enjoy! You are welcome to have seconds!