Recently, Lehman’s sent out a fall catalog with our Steel Nutcracker on the cover. Sharing space with it was a plate of cookies. And it appears that people went (pardon the pun) nuts for them: we got requests from all over about the cookies!
Below, you’ll find a Lehman family cookie recipe that will give you cookies very like those shown on our catalog cover. A big thank-you to Pearl Taylor, sister of our founder, Jay Lehman, for sharing the recipe. Enjoy!
- 1 c. butter
- 1 1/2 c. powered sugar
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/2 c. flour
- 1 t. soda
- 1 t. cream of tartar
- Nuts or maraschino cherries for the tops
- Cream butter and powered sugar.
- Add remaining ingredients and beat thoroughly.
- Chill dough 1 hour.
- Make soft balls, flatten slightly.
- Top with nuts or cherry halves.
- Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Chill Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 10 min
Keywords: lehmans catalog, swiss cookies, swiss bon bons, cookies