We had a chili cookoff last week in our Kidron office. As the aromas filled the office, it was hard to wait until lunch before digging into this impressive spread!
We enjoyed sampling from 6 different chilis! There was a variety of options including vegan chili and extra spicy chili. The winner received a $25 gift card to Chipotle. (Keep reading to find the winning recipe below!)
Those that did not participate in the cook off provided side dishes. Some brought unique, garden-themed items. One employee even had us “digging” for ice cream! She decorated a large bowl with artificial plants, planted individual ice cream containers among the flowers, and made sure we had a shovel to serve with.
Chocolate pudding with Oreo crumbs sprinkled on top resembles dirt. Top it off with some gummy worms, and you have a fun dessert to share!
Mild Chicken Chili
Here is the winning recipe of our chili cookoff. Enjoy!
Recipe by Tina Shoop
- 4 Lg or 6 sm chicken breasts cooked & shredded (I add garlic, Himalayan pink salt & cumin when cooking)
- 1 ½ c cooked black beans
- 3 c cooked great northern beans
- 3 c cooked pinto beans
- 1 15 oz can corn, drained
- 16 oz diced green chiles (mild)
- 3 diced (green) cayenne peppers or 1 jalapeno (use red cayenne if you want it a bit spicier)
- 32 oz home canned pickled tomatoes & peppers (can sub w/ Rotel)
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 4 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 oz pepper jack cheese, shredded
In a pot, melt the cheeses slowly in heated (not boiling) broth & tomatoes. Add everything else and transfer to a slow cooker. Heat slowly for a few hours then enjoy.
Serve with any or all: tortilla chips, sour cream, shredded sharp cheddar, lime slice
Do you have a favorite chili recipe? Do you prefer mild, sweet, or spicy? Share below!