As the weather gets cooler, it’s the perfect time to serve up hot, comforting meals. Chili is one of our top choices! Today we’re sharing with you a delicious take on chili right from our newest cookbook. So, get the bowls and crackers ready!
Chicken Barley Chili
By Shelley Salsburey (from Lehman’s Sapphire Cookbook Collection)
- 14 1/2 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 16 oz. can tomato sauce
- 14 1/2 oz. can chicken broth
- 1 C. barley
- 4 C. water
- 1 tsp. chili powder (or more to taste)
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 1/4 oz. can corn, undrained
- 3 C. chicken breast, cooked, cut into bite-sized pieces
In a 6-quart saucepan, combine the first 7 ingredients. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans, corn and chicken; bring to boil. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. If it is too thick, more chicken broth or water may be added. Can be topped with shredded Cheddar cheese and/or sour cream.
Hungry for more? Click here to find Lehman’s Sapphire Cookbook Collection – over 650 recipes to discover!