Ready to eat some really delicious food outside? Whether you gather around the grill or relax at the picnic table, it’s finally the season for dining al fresco (and we couldn’t be happier).
Our fresh picnic menu goes way beyond hot dogs and potato salad – although we love those, too – but we couldn’t pass up a hearty pot of savory baked beans…hungry yet?
All five of the following recipes can be found in our Diamond Jubilee Cookbook, along with hundreds of others from employees, customers and the Lehman family themselves.Print
- 2 T. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
- 3 c. pineapple, cut into 16 chunks
- 8 oz. uncooked lean pork tenderloin, cut into 16 chunks
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 16 chunks cooking spray
- 3 c. cooked couscous
- 1/4 c. uncooked scallions, sliced
- In a resealable plastic bag or glass bowl, combine soy sauce, ginger and garlic.
- Finely chop 2 pineapple chunks and add to bag or bowl. Add pork chunks. Seal bag and turn to coat or stir in bowl and cover.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Preheat grill.
- Remove pork from marinade and discard marinade. Thread two pieces each of pork, pineapple and pepper onto 8 metal or wooden skewers (soak wooden skewers in water for a maximum of 20 minutes before use to prevent burning). Coat with cooking spray.
- Grill, turning twice, until pork is cooked through and pepper and pineapple are lightly charred and tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from grill and serve with couscous, topped with minced scallions.
Keywords: kabobs, pork, picnic recipes, lehmans cookbook, lehmans diamond jubilee cookbook
- 1/2 lb. bacon, diced
- 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1 c. chopped onions
- 1–28 oz. can pork and beans
- 1–17 oz. can lima beans, drained
- 1–15 oz. can kidney beans, drained
- 1/2 c. barbeque sauce
- 1/2 c. ketchup
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 2 T. yellow mustard
- 2 T. molasses
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- In a cast iron skillet, brown ground beef and bacon; drain.
- Combine meats with other ingredients in a deep baking dish and bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes or until bubbly. Can also be made in a large slow cooker (cook on low for a few hours until bubbly).
Can be made anytime – not just for the 4th of July!
Keywords: baked beans, holidays, picnic recipes, lehmans cookbook, lehmans diamond jubilee cookbook
- 7 oz plain hummus
- 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 c. chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 c. chopped cucumbers
- 2 T. chopped Kalamata olives
- Spread hummus into bottom of a 9″ pie pan.
- Cover with layers of remaining ingredients.
- Serve with pita bread wedges or pita chips.
Keywords: dips, holidays, picnic recipes, lehmans cookbook, lehmans diamond jubilee cookbook
- 1–15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 mango, peeled and chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 c. Italian vinaigrette dressing (bottled or homemade)
- 1 T. lime juice
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. hot sauce
Mix all ingredients together and chill at least 1 hour before serving. Serve with tortilla chips.
Keywords: salsa, dips, holidays, picnic recipes, lehmans cookbook, lehmans diamond jubilee cookbook
- 1–12 oz. can frozen concentrated grape juice
- 1–6 oz can concentrated orange juice
- 1/4 c. lemon juice
- 1 1/2 c. water
- 1 c. white sugar
- 2 liters ginger ale
- Mix grape and orange juice concentrates. Add lemon juice.
- In a small saucepan, heat water and sugar until sugar dissolves. Add to rest of ingredients. Mix well.
- Add ginger ale and serve over crushed ice.
Keywords: beverages, holidays, picnic recipes, lehmans cookbook, lehmans diamond jubilee cookbook